Saturday, January 7, 2012

End of orientation


Orientation took up the better part of 5 days, even Saturday...smh. It seems like each day is getting progressively longer and longer and I make it home just in time to take a quick nap, eat and then go out. It makes for a weird situation with my host family, because I don't know if I should be hanging out with them more. Dinner does last around an hour and half, sometimes more, so that is plenty of time we have to talk. But since i live in a separate "house" from them I just basically show up for dinner and then bounce. Once I have more time I'll figure out if they wanna chill.

Class registration still sucks. Still don't know exactly what class classes I'll be taking at UPV, but they'll probably deal with economics or history. Not gonna even try to touch the sciences here.

There is so much stuff Montpellier has to offer and since I'm a huge sports fan that's what I'll head to first. Not only is there a good football team here (read: soccer) but Montpellier has excellent rugby and handball (european handball, not wall ball) teams. Two sports I've never witnessed in person so I'll definitely being going the respective stadium and arena soon. Going along the topic of sports, I may be trying to get into a handball class at UPV, it's pending a physical. At the end of January there is a tennis tournament here, which I will try to attend. Sunday is a free day, so I'll spending most of my time exploring, getting to know where the sports are played, where museums are and figuring out how to get to the beach.

A note on the food here in France. It is great! However, I might get the study abroad version of the freshman 15. They eat a lot of bread and a lot of cheese. The pastries here are magnificent and the sandwiches are delicious. Speaking of which, there is this sandwich at many places called l'Americain (see picture), which if McDonald's were to brand it it would be called a McHeartattack. It's a baguette with hamburger patties, french fries and your choice of condiments. The description sounds gross, but it is actually a great sandwich. I had it with Dan, Rachel and Emily who are in my program and we all loved it. I guess that's to be expected since we're American...all we eat are hamburgers and french fries. At least that seems to be our stereotype when it comes to our cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment