Monday, January 2, 2012

Arrival in Montpellier

Montpellier - 11:59 pm

I got to Montpellier around 3 pm local time and checked into my hotel, where I'll be staying until around noon tomorrow when my host family picks me up. The flight from Madrid to Monpellier was rather quick, about an hour and change.

I ran into/ met a few people on this flight. At the gate in Madrid I met Julian, a recent graduate of Indiana State University where he played D-I football (espn.com backs this up). He'll be studying French at the same university. Boarding my flight, I recognized a girl that was on my fight from JFK. We chatted for a bit and turns out she's also from New York and studies at SUNY Geneseo, she's also doing the exchange program at UPV. As I was claiming my baggage, this one girl accidentally picked up my bag and in the ensuing awkward conversation that ensued I found out she was from Penn State and was traveling with 4 other classmates and they too are doing the exchange program.

From the short taxi drive to my hotel Montpellier reminds me a lot of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I didn't get to explore at all today since the hotel is basically in the middle of nowhere relative to the city center, but I'll have enough time to explore in the coming days and weeks. I've napped 3 times since I got here, read some stuff, and now I'm watching the France equivalent of Sportscenter. They're taking about the NBA right now and its kinda funny hearing names like Dewayne Wade LeBron James in French accents.

3 comments:

  1. it's Dwayne.... not devvayne vade like how the perians pronounce it

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be watching Sportscenter when in France...

    ReplyDelete
  3. they sure love their NBA over there. so strange.

    ReplyDelete